Right now I’m struggling with some limiting beliefs in a few areas of my life. Because of everything I’ve learned as a coach about limiting beliefs, I can identify that they’re there and I can wish they would go away. I know they’re not necessarily true, but when I’m in the moment, that doesn’t always support me. I’ve recently come up with a fairly interesting way to deal with my own limiting beliefs that I thought might support you.
It dawned on me recently that, when it comes to my own limiting beliefs, if I really take the time to question them I find that, mostly without exception, the opposite is more true than what I’m telling myself. I’ll bet you’ll find the same thing if you simply take the time to stop and do this simple exercise instead of just letting these limiting thoughts run your life because you blindly believe them.
Here’s an example of what I’m talking about. Suppose you hold one of the following limiting beliefs:
- There isn’t enough time to get everything done.
- I have to be available to my team/customers at all times.
- I need to do everything perfectly (so I just don’t do anything).
Now let’s look at the opposite of these beliefs and see if they aren’t more true for you:
- I have plenty of time to get everything done (which means I can choose where I spend my time)
- I don’t have to be available to my team/customers at all times. (And if I believe that, I am free to respond to them at my convenience, which helps with the first one)
- Things don’t need to be perfect in order to work (which allows you to let things be good enough and move forward with whatever project you’re working on – this one is really liberating).
See how it works? It’s pretty amazing and it gets you to move from limiting thinking to possibility thinking. Next time you have a limiting belief pop up and try to sabotage you, stop and tell yourself the opposite of what you’re thinking and see if it doesn’t empower you.
Need some help filling up your calendar as we head into the busy Fall selling season? Grab your complimentary copy of my “Book Yourself Solid In The Next 30 Days” roadmap. It’s yours for free when you subscribe to my mailing list. Already a member of the list? My system won’t add you twice, so go ahead and grab the roadmap anyhow. Click here to grab your roadmap now!
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN PRINT OR ONLINE?
You may, as long as you do not alter it and include the following information (with active links as appropriate)
Julie Anne Jones is a direct sales corporate consultant, coach, and trainer, and the CEO of Julie Anne Jones, Inc. She is known for her authentic and easy-to-use scripting and specializes in specific systems, language, and tools for success in direct sales. To learn more about Julie Anne and her products and services, and to read her weekly blog posts, visit her at www.julieannejones.com.